Please note: Applicants should plan for a three-week review period for all sign permit applications.

The City of Greenville regulates signs to ensure public safety, to protect property values, to maintain the visual attractiveness of the city and its environment and to promote the economic well-being of the community. Regulations govern the location, size and type of signs, and require that most signs have permits.

With the exception of governmental or institutional signs, no sign may be displayed in a public right-of-way, on a utility pole or on a roadside structure such as a trash can, bus stop, tree or bench. This includes temporary, permanent, permitted or unpermitted signs. Such signs are subject to immediate removal by the City of Greenville.

View the Adopted Sign Ordinance and Sign Ordinance Administrative Manual to determine what type and size of signs will be allowed for your business or customer. 

Signs in the Central Business District

Signs located in the C-4 Central Business District (downtown) must adhere to the Greenville Downtown Design Guidelines, adopted in May 2017. Additionally, all sign applications for the C-4 District need an approved Certificate of Appropriateness  before any sign permit application can be submitted.

The completed sign permit applications with required drawings and fees can be submitted to the building permit office, on the 4th floor City Hall, either in person or by mail. The applications will be reviewed by staff in a timely manner and comments provided to you for additional information needed to complete or approve the applications. The fees for the permits and mailing address is listed on the application. 

Please note: Due to the quantity of permits received, the City does not accept pre-application reviews for sign permits. You may submit your sign permit application online for review at any time.

Helpful Resources

Signs in the Central Business or Preservation Overlay Districts

If the property is located in the Central Business District or Preservation Overlay, all signs will require an approved Certificate of Appropriateness for the design, materials and location. The completed application can be submitted with all required drawings and fees to the Planning & Development office, 6th floor City Hall. 
Design Guidelines - includes permitted sign types, with illustrations
Certificate of Appropriateness